Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dirty little secret

Brain spinning,

sitting here thinking,

and found myself here this morning.

http://adifferentkindofluxury.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-we-dont-need.html

The hook for me, was that one of the people mentioned doesn't use soap.




I have a secret.......

I don't use soap either.

At least not all of the time. 

One of the things that I have been very slow to learn, is how to live with cast iron cookware. All of those years spent enduring crap skillets, when what I needed was cast iron. I had tried, but something just didn't click, and I don't know what the problem was, but for some reason, they just didn't work for me.

Maybe my expectations were too high? 

Well, what I HAVE decided is that NOTHING works perfectly, in the non-stock realm. Non-stick fails after a while, and sheds little chunks of grit that get in your food. This freaks my wife out. I don't worry about that, but I also don't like crunchy stuff in my food that I didn't put in, either. The shit only works for a little while anyways, and then you need to buy another pot /pan/sheet. I'm sick of buying stuff (says the guy who has 102,000 weird Japanese tools, haha!).


My beautiful, newly sane wife, Renee Bellinger, PhD!!! bought a nice cast iron skillet a few years ago now, and it works ok. Just fine, not perfect, but what does, right? Now I like these things. I seasoned another one, using boiled linseed oil, and that worked great. Our neighbor moved, leaving me with a pile of the darn things, and I don't know what to do with all of that largesse, but anyways.


After I use the cast iron skillet, I rinse it well in the sink...... Warm it on the stove...... Rub it with vegetable oil....

.... Then stick it in the oven. Preferably with a little kanna blade for company.




It turns out that this works great for plain old cookie sheets, too. 

Finally, a non-stick cookie sheet! 

But no soap, usually.

My dirty little secret.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like all of us, I am figuring this out as I go, so when you see something that is incorrect or flat out wrong (and you will!), let me know. This is a learning process. Real people and names, please. Constructive comments and questions are very welcome, but hate speak/politics are not! Life (get one!) is too short.


Thanks, Jason