Wednesday, July 31, 2013

More tool improvement (diamond sharpening plates)

Here's a quick one. Remember those cheap import diamond bench stones from the prior post?

Cheap and worth buying
I had glued them to some pieces of cedar that I had lying around the shop, which made them a lot more rigid and therefor, useful.

diamond bench stones on substrate
v. 1.1

The problem was that the "stones" are just thin pieces of diamond coated metal, adhered to almost as thin pieces of plastic. And that plastic is not dead flat (what do you expect for $7 and change?). So.......

v. 2.0
I took a putty knife and popped the metal plates off of the plastic substrate. I think that in a few more days, the plates would've just fallen off on their own anyways, so this just sped up the inevitable. As before, spray glue and stick down. Clamp them and give 'em a few minutes for the glue to set and.........FLAT!

Cheap and now FLAT!

The spots of light are just those little divots that are all over the surface of the plate. It is as flat as can be (at least in my shop) and is now actually more accurate than my MUCH more expensive DMT duosharp stone

Not as cheap and not as flat either
Don't get me wrong, the DMT Duosharp isn't too bad and I use it for lots of stuff, but a precision instrument it is not. The DMT diasharp continuous surface bench stone IS flat, if that's your thing.

I love quick, cheap projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like all of us, I am figuring this out as I go, so when you see something that is incorrect or flat out wrong (and you will!), let me know. This is a learning process. Real people and names, please. Constructive comments and questions are very welcome, but hate speak/politics are not! Life (get one!) is too short.


Thanks, Jason